Now that the holidays are over, we can post some of the things we made people for Christmas. I knit most of my presents this year and found this pattern while looking for something cute and Christmasy: Holiday Mice. Lloyd and I both liked them so we made two for Lloyd’s sister-in-law.
I ran into a couple of problems with the pattern. First of all, the bobble was a bit beyond my knitting skill. I just could not get five stitches out of a single stitch. Thus, I just knit a single regular stitch where the pattern called for a bobble. Then I made each foot using the following pattern and attached them where they looked right.
- Row 1: Cast on 5 stitches.
- Row 2: Purl 5 stitches.
- Row 3: Knit 5 stitches.
- Row 4: Purl 2 together, purl 1, purl 2 together.
- Row 5: Slip 1, knit 2 together, pass slipped stitch over.
- Bind off and sew the edges shut.
The foot once I finished knitting it.
The foot once I sewed it shut.
I made four of these feet for each mouse. Next, I made the body and head as described in the pattern. When I attached the head and feet to the body, it looked like this:
The body with the head and feet attached.
I then added some embroidery to make the eyes and nose. The eyes were made with black yarn and the nose was made with the same pink yarn used in the tail and ears.
It’s looking more mouse-like!
There were a couple of options listed in the pattern for the tail. I decided to braid the pink yarn to make the tail since it looked to be about the right thickness. On the side that would be the tail tip, I cut the yarn close to the knot while I left the yarn long on the base. This was so I could easily attach it to the body.
The tail by itself.
The tail attached to the body. This actually did help with balance!
I ran into another problem with the ears as described in the pattern. First of all, the ears were big enough to make the mouse look like Dumbo so I had to rework the pattern to be smaller. Secondly, the ears looked silly when made entirely out of pink as described in the pattern. Thus, I made the ears out of the same gray as the body and added pink linings by embroidering the inside of the ears with the pink yarn. I attached one ear to the head of each mouse.
- Cast on three stitches.
- Row 1: Purl one row.
- Row 2: Knit one row.
- Row 3: Purl one row.
- Row 4: Slip 1 stitch, knit 2 together, and pass the slipped stitch over.
The ear looked much more like a mouse ear with my modifications.
It’s starting to look like a cute mouse!
Finally, I made a beret for each mouse: one in red and one in green. The beret the pattern resulted in was comically large so I reworked the pattern to be smaller. It also was a bit too puffy to look beret-like so I took the yarn from the top of the beret after I gathered the last stitches and tied the knot and threaded it through the opening at the bottom. Then I could pull the top down so that it looked like a beret again. Finally, I attached it to the mouse to cover up where the other ear would go.
- Cast on 12 stitches.
- Rows 1-2: [Knit 1, purl 1] six times.
- Row 3: [Knit 2, make 1 stitch] six times (18 stitches).
- Row 4-6: Knit in straight stitch.
- Row 7: [Knit one, knit two together] six times (12 stitches).
- Row 8: Knit one row.
- Row 9: [Knit two together] six times (6 stitches).
- Cut yarn, thread through remaining stitches, and pull tightly together. Tie off.
The finished berets ready to be attached.
These guys turned out to be more work than I thought they would be, but I”m happy with the result.
Mouse with a red beret.
Mouse with a green beret.