The very first project I tried to knit when I took up knitting seven years ago was a sweater for myself. I learned that gauge is important and you shouldn’t just cast on however many stitches the pattern tells you and assume it will work. Since then, I’ve successfully knit two sweaters for Lloyd, but hadn’t really got around to making another one for myself until recently.
I got the pattern from here and used wool yarn. Since I was using wool, making a 3/4 length sleeve seemed a little silly so I extended the sleeves to full length. To do this, I measured my wrist diameter and converted it to the number of stitches needed. Then I measured the extra sleeve length and added two stitches each 3/4″ in order to reach the pattern size by the time I reached the “bottom” of their sleeve. This worked out surprisingly well. The only problem that I had is that my wrists are a lot smaller than my hands so the sweater is a bit difficult to take on and off. On the plus side, this also makes it really warm.
For the rest of the sweater, I just followed the pattern. The sweater is knit in four pieces: front, back, and two sleeves. I attached the front and back together before I took a picture, but the rest is documented pretty well.
I really like this sweater, but it’s not really wool sweater weather in Sunnyvale anymore. I think I’ll have to make a warmer weather version – after I work through my sewing backlog.