Shade Sail

Our backyard grass was starting to die off from too much sun so to keep the grass alive without a using lot of water (Living in CA, we should try to keep our water usage down.), we decided to put in a sunshade.

The grass is now somewhat more shaded

The grass is now somewhat more shaded.

We have a house with a separate garage and the yard is between the two, so the simplest solution was to sting up two ropes as an A frame and put cloth between the two.  For the rope, we used paracord (relatively thin gauge nylon) and for the fabric we used simple cotton muslin.  To mount the cord to the wall, we screwed in some brackets and tied in the cord.  To mount the fabric to the rope, we tied knots into the rope and strips of seam binding were sewn into the edges of the fabric.  The strips were tied around the knot and held up very well for the 6 months it has been up.

Sewing the seam on the muslin

Sewing the seam on the muslin.

Wall mounting brackets, there used to be a plant holder in the wall here

Wall mounting brackets. There used to be a plant holder in the wall here.

the knots hold up really well over time when tied tight.

The knots hold up really well over time when tied tight.

Now that the summer is over, we are taking the shade down and storing it in the closet until next summer in the hopes that we can retain some more backyard grass.

It looked really cool when the wind picked up

It looked really cool when the wind picked up.